Bored? Confused? Existential crisis? Play Hangman: 77 Days Edition!
New? Start here: Forum Guidelines
Resources: 77 Days Community Portal
News: It has begun... BearStearnsBravo.com

Author Topic: The TIMM connection  (Read 9982 times)

Offline Coolguy

• Ascended Member
  • The real BONDGETTER159
    • View Profile
The TIMM connection
« on: August 03, 2013, 09:39:09 pm »
Or This is My Milwaukee, a 2008ish ARG by the guy who owns the pronunciationbook.com domain. I couldn't find a thread about it, but there's speculation that this may be a continuation as TIMM 'ended' following the New York event. The timeline on this wiki can bring you up to speed quickly - there's detailed information there, as well. I also recommend watching the videos (the promotional video on the official TIMM site, as well as the videos of the New York meetup) - not necessarily for information, but they're funny and might be indicative of where 77 days is going.

There aren't any connections in the narrative yet as far as I can see, but in this email received following the NY event, Jake, one of the PMs, makes it clear that TIMM is larger than it seems:

Out Of Game --

Thanks for your note.

You guys are missing something.

Rest assured that the best -- best by an almost incalculably large
margin -- is yet to come.

Please be patient; TIMM has a very, very long tail.

Cheers,
Jake

With all that said, the only real connection I've seen was pointed out by EnemyNSA on IRC earlier:

<EnemyNSA> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCCF29bXE1Q
<LobsterMan> YouTube Title: How To Pronounce Moleskine Length: 0:13
<EnemyNSA> Apparently the notebook they found was made by "Moleskine"
<EnemyNSA> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moleskine

The Moleskine notebook mentioned is Mars Madison's diary, which was received by players at the NY meetup, which is where TIMM 'ended' - following that, the messages in it were decoded, but none of them seem to relate to PB.

So... yeah!
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]

Offline NSA

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: The TIMM connection
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:18:20 pm »
Yay! I helped! (I'm EnemyNSA on the chat)
This is my signature, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Offline NSA

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:21:30 pm »
And yeah, I just feel it's a random word (Notebook maker from Italy) to choose out of nowhere.

If the whole long 3 year process is all truly part of the ARG, then maybe this is a clue. Maybe not!

Offline Coolguy

• Ascended Member
  • The real BONDGETTER159
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »
I just got done reading everything in the the unfiction trailhead thread from after the NY meetup. It seems that while nothing really happened after that, characters remained active in a sense, hinting that more would come. This continued throughout 2009. After that, communication became sparse. In 2010 and 2011 - i.e., while PronunciationBook was active - a couple of characters posted on Facebook.

Quote from: Rakne on unfiction, Feb. 2010
things are happening on facebook.

Mars and Lipps are friends, and Mars posted on Lipps facebook page in response to a request for info: "soon, dear. soon."

it's on!?

Quote from: morningcoffee on unfiction, Feb. 2011
Whoa.

I wished Lipps a happy birthday on Facebook, just for old times' sake.

And got a reply.

"You'll find the way forward ... or maybe a new path westward ... ah! A coastal melody. Forms and paperwork, sealed with a handshake."

Are they messing with us again or does this mean something?  Shocked

On this page of the thread, circa April 2011, players were led to a tumblr page housing this mysterious comment:

C. 2 years ago
There's nothing more beautiful than function! A friendly instructional to help citizens move is wonderful, but what if a whole world were crafted the same way ... precise, overwhelming, and playful? Let's explore new cities! What happened before? Reserve a table for five, and hit the dance floor when we're done.

...and it trails off completely from there. Still, interesting that they were still active while PB was active.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:50:00 pm by Coolguy »
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]

Offline MageRage

• Global Moderator
  • Ascended Member
  • Lesson, lesson. If you see a stranger, follow him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:54:58 pm »
I still need to see if the areas mentioned in PB would have been inhabitable in the TIMM universe.  I keep trying to tell myself there's no connection here, but I want there to be so badly.  Bender involvement is just a big flashing light I can't turn off, though.

Offline Coolguy

• Ascended Member
  • The real BONDGETTER159
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 11:01:36 pm »
Geography seems weird in TIMM. Somewhere in what I just read, someone mentioned a YouTube comment calling them out for filming "Milwaukee" in New York City. The channel responded that they had indeed filmed parts of it in Decatur (wait? what? dude said New York) for "financial reasons"

So maybe this suggests that the Decatur often mentioned throughout TIMM is actually New York City, somehow. Maybe it means nothing, who knows?

At any rate, the incident in TIMM seems limited to Milwaukee - I think there's a mention here or there of Go.D.S.E.E.D. fragments popping up elsewhere, but the rest of the world seems more or less alright.
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]

Offline MageRage

• Global Moderator
  • Ascended Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 02:41:49 am »
No, I remember some people calling up characters, and when they they said they were from a certain part of the U.S., the characters acted shocked that people could still be living there.  I'll try to grab some thread references to confirm when I hop on the compy in a minute.

edit:  i seem to remember there being something about "west of the Rockies"

Offline Coolguy

• Ascended Member
  • The real BONDGETTER159
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 04:21:15 am »
Right! Forgot all that. Carry on.
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]

Offline BostonBeats4

• Nearly There
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:31:55 pm »
I still have the notebook that you speak of. Doubt it will help but if the time ever comes then i still got it, haha

Offline Coolguy

• Ascended Member
  • The real BONDGETTER159
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 03:42:58 am »
I mean even if it's useless that's a pretty neat thing to have haha.

Trying to tie the later TIMM contacts to PB uploads. Feb 2nd is Lipps' birthday...

Feb 02, 2010: Lipps responds to request for info with "soon, dear. soon." Radio silence for a year.
April 14, 2010: First videos from PB appear.

Feb 02, 2011: Lipps: "You'll find the way forward ... or maybe a new path westward ... ah! A coastal melody. Forms and paperwork, sealed with a handshake."
April 05, 2011: The hint leading to the tumblr is found (I wonder how? Facebook?)
Oct 2010-April 10, 2011: PB itself is in a period of silence. No new videos.

Also, I forgot to mention this before...
May 23, 2011: Comment from TIMM channel on the video, "The beach volleyball tournament is finally over." PB posts the video "How To Say a Lie"

To sum it up...

PB and TIMM did not have any activity that I know of at the same time except in May 2011. Odd that PB was on pause when TIMM showed movement. TIMM says the beach volleyball tournament is over, but PB seems to disagree... and that's all I've got.
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]

Offline YouBlackEmperor

• Nearly There
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 03:47:23 am »
PB started on 4/14.
Milwaukee's area code is 414.

Coincidence?  :D

Offline Coolguy

• Ascended Member
  • The real BONDGETTER159
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 03:49:40 am »
Oh god. Oh god.

So simple.

Yet somehow so easy to miss.
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]

Offline NSA

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 05:28:53 am »
Now we just need the rest of the number!

Offline Thia

• Ascended Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 02:48:58 pm »
Ok, I'm remembering a thread either here or on the wiki about someone tracking down a dial-up sounds from another video and it was a seven digit phone number in need of an area code.  Going to track that post down.
Half Life 3.  CONFIRMED!  :D

Offline Thia

• Ascended Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 02:56:20 pm »
Ok, I found the thread.  Maybe slightly less interesting because it's related to PronunciationHub, but I have thought that there had to be more than one medium that this ARG/whatever is using aside from the Youtube channel.  Maybe not this one (this seems fanboyish to me), but...who knows?

http://77days.wikia.com/wiki/PronunciationHub#comm-2917
Half Life 3.  CONFIRMED!  :D

Offline Tandem

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 08:00:10 pm »
I have to ask this. What was the the reason for the creation of the TIMM ARG? Was it a commercial or artistic project? Was there a resolution to the TIMM ARG?

How was Tom Bender involved? Was he hired by Howcast to create this new ARG?

Offline Coolguy

• Ascended Member
  • The real BONDGETTER159
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 08:58:05 pm »
There doesn't seem to be any commercial purpose to TIMM. If there was, they never got to revealing it - some speculation on unforum suggested that whatever TIMM was intended to promote fell apart, so funding for TIMM fell apart as well... but that is 100% pure, uncut speculation and nothing suggests that TIMM existed for anything but itself. And no, there was no resolution.

Tom Bender is listed as the director of the original TIMM video. Other names of interest are Jacob Bakkila and Seena Jon, also listed in the TIMM credits (iirc Seena Jon is also Joey, the guy who guided players at the NY event) all of the media creation company Synydyne, which was behind TIMM. So as far as who did what exactly, I can't tell you, but it's rather obvious that those three are the key players. Synydyne also created a documentary called Hoopeston, and apparently, videos for Howcast.

As far as Howcast hiring him to make this ARG - I dunno. Howcast has similar videos on their channel (someone linked to "How to say sorry in Korean" from Howcast on IRC last night) so it could be that PB was intended to be a part of Howcast's learn how to talk videos, or that they were inspired by the concept and made a separate ARG based around it. I dunno that Howcast would fund an ARG of its own though - seems to be outside of their MO.
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]

Offline lednerg

• Nearly There
  • INFOLIKER855
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 10:39:53 pm »
How To Pronounce Wisconsin City Names

The two which immediately come to mind are Milwaukee and Madison.

Offline AnnabellsRevenge

• Guilty of impersonating a federal building
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 11:25:00 pm »
Ok, I'm remembering a thread either here or on the wiki about someone tracking down a dial-up sounds from another video and it was a seven digit phone number in need of an area code.  Going to track that post down.
From a google search, that phone number seems to be used in a number of videos.  I think it's like a stock sound, probably something you can purchase and use in your own videos or whatever. 
Tell the sky your day’s adventures
Ask the sun about the moon
Ask the cloud about the ocean
Tell the stars you’re coming soon

Offline BostonBeats4

• Nearly There
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 11:51:33 pm »
How To Pronounce Wisconsin City Names

The two which immediately come to mind are Milwaukee and Madison.

I'm getting so excited that this might be part of TIMM.  I spent so much time loving and even being a part of TIMM that it broke my heart to see it go nowhere.  Now all these little facts are making me stoked.  Even if it's not these guys are awesome and I can't wait to see where this goes

Offline NSA

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 12:58:09 am »
Hopefully it DOES go somewhere!

The connections so far are suspect at best.. but I don't think it's pointing at anything else MORE than a TIMM connection for sure.

Offline Coolguy

• Ascended Member
  • The real BONDGETTER159
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 02:28:12 am »
To me, 4/14 is the biggest connection right now... I mean, can that just... happen? Accidentally? I dunno.

I was reading through the comments on the TIMM video to see if the unforum thread missed anything:

Quote from: TIMM channel
Oh, hope! A good morning, a kiss on the forehead, forbearance, ceremony, a flood of water, turning. Keep waiting or move forward ... both shall result in a splendid arrival!

Good morning ... a warm cup of tea to start the day off right.

both in response to requests for clues, 2 years ago. Can't say exactly when since YouTube thinks I don't need those details. Nothing more recent though. Sad.
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]

Offline NSA

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 02:36:11 am »
He created the channel on 04/10 but didn't post a video until 04/14.. so.. maybe? I dunno.

Offline TheRyuujinMike

• Nearly There
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 04:09:42 pm »
I know that "A bird without a song" probably doesn't refer to the Champion Dynasty Fund, but I really want it to.   :P
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:17:33 pm by TheRyuujinMike »

Offline AnnabellsRevenge

• Guilty of impersonating a federal building
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 12:15:34 am »
I know that "A bird without a song" probably doesn't refer to the Champion Dynasty Fund, but I really want it to.

Why not? As far as I know, turkeys don't sing.  Turkey trophies don't sing either. 
Tell the sky your day’s adventures
Ask the sun about the moon
Ask the cloud about the ocean
Tell the stars you’re coming soon

Offline Coolguy

• Ascended Member
  • The real BONDGETTER159
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 02:08:56 am »
Something that's been brought up on IRC a few times...

TIMM had some funny ways of pronouncing certain words, as well as names for some things that differ from our own. Hamburger, lasagna, and family trees immediately come to mind. And on top of that, there's bonus and bonub...

PB has mispronunciations of his own - there's a list of them in the public doc, but they don't seem to mesh with anything significant from TIMM. Most damning here are PB's How to Pronounce Hamburger and How to Order Food in English. In both videos, he says "hamburger" normally, which would be odd, unless hamBURERERgers are just a Milwaukee thing.

Also tried searching bonus and bonub on PB for laughs. Bonus brings up How to State an Unpleasant Fact in English, How to Pronounce Anna Karenina, and How To Pronounce Swahili. Bonub, as expected, returns nothing.
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]
[Defraud investors.]

Offline BostonBeats4

• Nearly There
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 07:49:05 pm »
When he says hamburger for the second time he actually says it very similar to the way they said it in TIMM.  They just over enunciate the BUR part of the word

Offline MageRage

• Global Moderator
  • Ascended Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 08:23:03 pm »
I think he's just doing that because he's saying "hamburger" slowly and clearly, syllable by syllable.

Offline turbov21

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 04:25:53 pm »
Feb 02, 2011: Lipps: "You'll find the way forward ... or maybe a new path westward ... ah! A coastal melody. Forms and paperwork, sealed with a handshake."

Reading through oathkeeper's narrative, I noticed a couple of references to L.A. That's pretty westward.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 04:28:00 pm by turbov21 »

Offline MageRage

• Global Moderator
  • Ascended Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 05:58:24 pm »
1) Our narrator believes someone in L.A. has the answers to the mysteries
2) L.A. is where chief cultivated his aubergine.

Am I missing any?